A new version of the Qt 5.15 series was just released, version 5.15.1, with over 400 bugs fixes and improvments. As the 5.15 is an LTS branch no new features are added anymore. The current Raspberry Pi Qt guide consentrates on the previous LTS release, 5.12, and as so is getting quite old even if the instructions should work with 5.15 as is. The article will be updated for 5.15.1 as soon as we have checked, tested and ammended any issues found.
Quite often when there is some nice API for something, the obvious application type seem to be a mobile application or somekind of web site/app. That is all quite nice and all but sometimes you just need a simple tool. Probably most Linux (or unix) user spend most of their time in a terminal so why not make some tiny command line utilities instead ? My latest little project is all about the command line.
Tools to query Turku Region public transport data from the command line, fast and much more efficient than opening a browser, finding the site and all that. For now there are two tools:
one for the bike rental system showing real-time statistics about bike availability at the stations
and one for real-time bus stop departure information
These tools are simple and compact, written in C with a little help from curl and json-c. And of course everything is open source and on github.
The tutorial on building Qt 5.10 on Raspberry Pi has been tested and checked, added more details on optional packages and a workaround for issues with Broadcom OpenGL librarie filenames on default installations. The same instructions have also been tested on the latest version, 5.11.1 and found to work just fine (just adjust version in downloads and commands!).
I'm in a need to test Blueooth LE beacon functionality on both desktop and tiny Linux systems (Raspberry Pi mostly). Looking around there where a lot of shell scripts or python scripts, that just run hcitool and hciconfig to do the actualy work. And none of them supports more that setting-and-forgetting, no support for any other frame types. So I started a little project to create a small beacon utility written in C that would support other frames types, switching the advertising data from time to time. It works quite well already but needs a bit of cleanup and proper configuration handling.